Ripon and the Dales
Ripon is cathedral city noted for its magnificent cathedral and racecourse. It is a tourist destination, due in part to its proximity to Studley Royal Park and Fountains Abbey.
The cathedral was founded by Scottish monks in the 660s, as a Benedictine monastery, although the current building was formed between the 13th and 16th Centuries. Ripon is also home to Ripon Grammar School, one of the leading grammar schools in the UK, and the “Top state school in the North” (Sunday Times).
The city has a thriving commercial centre with good local shopping and supermarkets. Harrogate is 15 miles away, and there are mainline train stations with services to London at Thirsk (12 miles) and Northallerton (20 miles).
Studley Royal and Fountains Abbey
Fountains Abbey was founded by Benedictine monks in 1132 and Fountains Hall a Jacobean manor was built in 1604. The ruins of the abbey remain and is a reminder of the scale of these extraordinary monastic communities.
The water garden was created in the first part of the 18th century resulting in a spell binding pleasure ground with numerous follies. The site was considered of such importance, it was designated as UNESCO World Heritage site
The Yorkshire Dales National Park has a dramatic landscape of steep valleys and wind-swept moorland. For buyers looking for property in the Yorkshire Dales, there are several key villages and popular towns including:
Hawes is a small market town at the head of Wensleydale serving tourists and the local resident community. It is the home the home of wensleydale cheese. Hawes has a community primary school, and a surgery. Houses to buy in Hawes are in popular demand among people looking a quintessential slice of life in the Yorkshire Dales.
Kettlewell is a popular Dales village in Upper Wharfdale which grew out of a 13th century market which mostly sold corn, outside the Kings Head. Originally the local economy was centred on lead mining and farming. The three village pubs are on the Inn Way and the Racecourse Hotel, the Bluebell Inn, and Kings Head all provide accommodation.
The village has 17th and 18th century houses and the church, St Mary’s was rebuilt in the 19th century in place of an older building dating back to 1120.
Sedbergh is small town on the Cumbrian side of the National Park and is well known for Sedburgh School. The school takes children from 4 to 18 and was established in 1525. It occupies an extraordinary setting with hills rising all around it.
The town has several independent bookstores, a golf club and is popular with hill walkers.